Responsible for the layout, assembly, installation and repair of plumbing systems. Installs these systems according to specifications and appropriate trade and building codes. These systems may consist of pipes, fittings, piping systems, fixtures and equipment for heating, cooling, gas, steam, lubricating, sprinkling, and industrial processing systems.
- Studies specifications, building plans and shop drawings to determine work aids required and sequence of installation.
- Maintains the work area in a clean orderly condition and follows prescribed safety regulations. Maintains required personal tools, and properly uses all Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) and safety equipment.
- Sets up equipment and welding parts using arc, submerged arc, gas-shielded arc, mig and tig machines. Helps plumbers, pipefitter/welders, sheet metal workers or HVAC workers as needed.
- Inspects the structure to ascertain obstructions to be avoided to prevent weakening of the structure resulting from the installation of pipe. Lays out and marks position of pipe and passage holes for pipes in walls and floors using ruler, level, square and laser.
- Cuts openings in walls and floors to accommodate pipe and fittings using hand and power tools. Installs sleeves and leave outs for roof and wall penetrations. Helps excavate, backfill and tamp ditches using shovels, picks and tampers. Helps cut, ream, solder, braze, fuse, solvent weld, groove, thread pipe and press fittings using measuring tools, pipe cutters, torches, beveling machines, reamers, bolts, screws, fittings, alloys, gaskets, solvent cement, fusing machine, groove and pipe-threading machines.
- Lays-out, positions, aligns, fits, tack-welds, assembles and installs valves, hangers, pipe and fittings composed of metals such as iron, steel, aluminum, brass, copper and nonmetals such as fiberglass and plastic using hand tools, roustabouts, grasshoppers, come-alongs, chain falls and power tools. Bends pipe by hand or with a pipe-bending machine. Fills pipe systems with water or air to determine system leaks. Installs, maintains and repairs air-conditioning and refrigeration systems including compressors, pumps, pneumatic and hydraulic controls and piping and similar mechanical accessories.
- High School Diploma or GED
- 3+ years experience as a pipefitter journeyman preferred
- Trained and experience in the operations scissor lifts, aerial lifts, and forklifts
- Strong working knowledge of job site safety as well as ability to complete a company specific safety orientation